Hip replacement surgery is gaining popularity these days due to its enormous benefits. According to recent health reports, there are millions of patients who suffer from stiffness and disabling hip joint pain. When painful hip condition starts interfering with normal day-to-day life and deteriorating patient’s health, then patients may opt for a hip joint surgery. Hip replacement surgery is a clinical intervention which can be performed to remove and replace the impaired hip joint with a prosthetic joint for rendering flexibility and stability to patients struggling with severe pain. However, hip replacement surgery cost may vary depending on the type of artificial joint material used for surgery.
Tips for a Speedy Recovery Following Hip Replacement Surgery
On an average, complete recovery following a hip replacement surgery may take 3 to 6 months. The enumerated steps may prove helpful in speeding up the healing process after completion of hip surgery.
- Preparations Before Surgery - Patients should start doing several things 4 to 6 weeks before the commencement of hip replacement procedure. They are supposed to quit the habit of smoking and drinking alcohol. Smoking and heavy alcohol consumption may interfere with the recovery process in future. In addition to this, they should arrange a family member or a close friend to assist them during operation and initial weeks following the hip joint surgery. They should also seek medical advice before consuming any drugs and health supplements.
- Communicating With Orthopedic Surgeon - Hip replacement surgery may result in serious complications like heavy bleeding, severe infections, mobility issues, and graft failure. Patients should ask their concerns to respective orthopedic surgeons and understand the potential risks associated with the surgical procedure. It will make them aware of actual outcomes and help them get over unrealistic goals following a hip joint surgery.
- Medications - In most instances, patients encounter discomforting (mild to severe) hip pain after the completion of hip replacement surgery. They should take the pain medications at regular interval as per doctor’s suggestion. Usually, orthopedic surgeons prescribe painkillers to ease patient’s distressing condition during initial weeks post-surgery.
- Physical Therapy - Orthopedic surgeons may refer the patients to a qualified physical therapist after a couple of weeks. Exercising can help improve patient’s strength and enable them to get back to their routine tasks quickly. There remains a possibility of dislocation of hip. Therefore, patients should be careful during physiotherapy sessions. They should not overdo anything and refrain from heavy weight lifting for few months.
- Healthy Diet - It is essential to eat a balanced diet for speeding up the recovery process. Surgeons mayrecommend eating a diet rich in vitamin C, fibers and proteins to help patients fight post-surgical problems like swelling, bruising, infections and regain their hip joint strength. Furthermore, intake of raw fruits and fresh vegetables can also help in maintaining a good health condition.
Patients can highly benefit by following these simple guidelines. They should also attend follow-up sessions regularly for maintaining the outcomes for a long term.