Prevalence of brain tumor in people is increasing steadily. A brain tumor is a life-threatening condition which develops due to a collection of abnormal tissues and cells in the brain. They may build up pressure inside the skull and may lead to brain damage. Overexposure to certain harmful chemicals and ionizing radiation are the leading risk factors that may fuel up the chances of brain tumors. Clumsiness, memory loss, confusion, and blurred vision are the major warning signs of a brain tumor. Surgery is the most common treatment procedure for removing a brain tumor. Surgeons mostly recommend a brain tumor surgery to help improve patient’s health. However, brain tumor surgery cost may vary depending on provisions of hospital and patient’s medical status.
What to Expect after Brain Tumor Surgery?
The following points elaborate the lifestyle changes which a patient may have to face following a brain tumor surgery.
- Recovery Time - Recovery following a brain tumor surgery may take a longer time. Patients need to stay calm and patient during healing phase. They should try to follow the instructions of respective surgeons without getting panicked. It may take up to six months for a full recovery.
- Medications - Patients may sleep for hours and feel dizzy due to the medications. That’s perfectly normal, they should take plenty of rest till they become able to resume normal routine life.
- Memory Issues - Patients may feel confused all the time. They may find it challenging to remember the names of people around them. Also, they may easily forget the books they have read, the movies they have already watched. In such instances, they should not get depressed and may go to a professional counselor for seeking help.
- Hard Stools - Patients may face bladder related issues. They may experience hard stools for initial few months following a brain surgery. In such cases, doctors may prescribe stool softeners to patients.
- Need of Caregiver - Patients will not be able to do basic routine activities like cleaning, cooking, getting dressed or other household stuff for few months. It is a good idea to ask someone from family or friends for assistance.
- Scar Tissue - Patients should ask the surgeon regarding the scar tissue and pain related to it. Patients may try massaging the suture spot to clear the scar tissue around it. Patients should be gentle and use only the prescribed ointment for massaging the incision site. Otherwise, it may cause a headache and other problems.
- Anxiety and Behavioral Disorders - It is natural for a brain tumor patient to get anxiety and behavioral issues. They may get irritated easily and may lose control while dealing with others. If this becomes a problem, patients may try doing mind relaxation techniques like deep breathing to stay calm.
Patients should visit the respective surgeons regularly for follow-up care. It will definitely help avoid post-surgical complications and maintaining a good health. Apart from this, patients should always keep a strong will power and positive attitude. They should remember that everything in their life will make sense.